Monday, May 18, 2009

You may not be able to look at me the same way once I admit this...

Last week, I did something I haven't done in a long time. I cheated. An editor friend recently hooked me up with a much-coveted advanced readers copy of Once Was Lost, the third novel by Sara Zarr, a writer who repeatedly blows me away with the emotional richness of her stories. But alas, as much as I've been waiting and waiting for that ARC, it came at the worst possible time. May has been a crazy-busy month. I totally did not have time to read anything that wasn't a manuscript. And yet I totally couldn't wait any longer and NOT read it. So I dove in. And...it was as great as I expected (isn't it wonderful when an author doesn't let you down as a reader, not even for a minute?). Rich, nuanced, totally human characters that I thoroughly believed in. Deep ideas about questions that don't have easy answers. Complex, REAL, confusingly muddled relationships and situations that made me ache. I think that's what I love about Zarr's writing--she writes thoughtfully about stories and characters that feel so very honest and alive.

But you're waiting for the confession, aren't you? So here it is. Once Was Lost is also totally full of suspense. And I had a limited amount of time, and really needed to be spending some of it sleeping, instead of reading past 2 a.m. So I skipped to the end to find out what happened. I've since finished it for real, and I don't think the reading experience was too scarred by my late-night, non-linear bout of weakness--in fact, I think I could even claim that it's a compliment to Sara Zarr that I HAD to know what happened before I could fall asleep. But, tell me I'm not the only one who sometimes does this? And, hey, guilt loves company--what's the last book that made *you* cheat?

9 comments:

  1. I sat up all night, in my late teens, finishing THE GODFATHER, and that was a long time ago. Maybe I need to read more. Or better. (THE GODFATHER was amazing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this several times, I'm sure, but most recently with Libba Bray's GOING BOVINE; the main character has mad cow disease, so we know it won't end well, but I had to turn to the end early to see exactly how he'd meet the end. I flipped ahead too in Carrie Ryan's A FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, maybe not right to the end, but at least a couple of chapters ahead to make sure the characters were still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah -- I skipped to the end of WINTERGIRLS. I just HAD to. My college freshman daughter called me to find out how Lia fared. Thus I not only skip to the end of books myself, I clearly passed this trait on to her. (Home now, she also confesses to have read the final page of every Harry Potter from #3 on - every one she could read to herself.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I'm tempted to do this but I usually fight my temptation and win. Once I did skip to the end of Karate Kid Part III. I was only ten, and I had to know how the Kid overcame his enemies. Intriguing literature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never thought about it, but I've never skipped to the end of a book--that I can remember. I've got no particular rule against it, but just don't remember doing it.

    Anyway, cute, funny story. My wife definitely skips to the end of novels all the time, then goes back and reads them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skipped to the end of most of the books i had to read in high school. I don't think there is anything bad with it. It's human nature to run out of patience and want to know what happens. Me? I usually skipped to the end because I got bored. lol. Don't worry. You're still cool. :-)

    <3Nisha
    http://www.nisha-sharma.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh jeez...never! I can never bring myself to do it. I recently started reading and then since have dropped the worst book I have EVER picked up...and even though I was, in fact, curious - I still didn't look at the end! I'm worried that you've opened up a door for me. The book beckons me from the shelf...I'll keep you posted.

    I'm so happy to know about your blog and I LOVE your bandit chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never done this. I'm a huge hater of spoilers and suspense is one of my great motivators, so it would kill me to skip ahead.

    But if it helps, I don't judge you for cheating. ;-)

    ReplyDelete